My Dutch heritage has provided a few traditions. Chocolate letters at Christmas, spice cookies called speculaas, and the names of my fingers, which are (although I have no idea how to spell them at all):
Thumb: Domolot
Pointer: Likaput
Middle: Longyop
Ring: Kortknop
Pinky: Pinkilink
As I did as a child, Moolah knows the names of her fingers in Dutch better than English (a situation that I know from experience I need to correct before she goes to school). Daddy is confused everytime she says "I hurt my kortknop".
The other day she was in the back of the car and said "Look, Mama, I can point my longyop." I looked in the mirror and saw my sweet toddler proudly giving me a double bird. Hmm. How to address this?
"Moolah, it's not nice to point your longyop. Some people think it's sign language for bad words."
"Can I point my likaput?"
"Yes."
"Can I point my pinkilink?"
"Yes, just not your longyop."
"But I like to point my longyop."
"Well, it's not nice to point your longyop."
"But I want to...."
How could this possibly make sense???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
It MUST make perfect sense to a toddler, because that is the exact same logic Todd uses when defying my requests to not do something-- "but I *like* to", "but I *want* to"...
p.s. I LOVE those spice cookies. I know them as Spekulatius (German).
I love this story. I can just see Moolah, in the back seat, pointing her longyap at passing cars as they go by!
Post a Comment