Friday, March 9, 2007

Bayer Chewable Asprin

Post-lunch sweet snack today was a handful of jelly beans. I put several in my mouth without looking at the colors. The combination somehow tasted exactly like children's asprin.

I commented on that, walking through the office, to no one in particular. All of the women said "Mmmm, yum." All of the men said "What? How do you know what children's asprin tastes like?"

I thought everyone remembered that particular orange-cream-soda with a salty tangy aftertaste. I was apparently wrong. The women who do remember it have very strong associations. The men are confused.

I don't think this is a gender thing. I know Daddy knows what children's asprin tastes like. I think there is even a restaurant in town that serves a drink that tastes like it.

One of the men suggested that my parents were more "mainstream" than his and that we were probably allowed Fruit Loops, too. Can you hear Auntie BSU laughing? Grape nuts and shredded wheat were our cereals, with toast and "better butter". If you haven't experienced "better butter", count your blessings.

I also wondered whether maybe it was generational, but the men who don't remember are within 2 years of my age and the women are several years older and younger.

Now I'm just curious. Why is it such a strong sense-memory for some people and not others?

So, if you feel like adding to my research, tell me whether you know what children's asprin tastes like and I'll see if I can draw any useful conclusions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed and then I laughed harder about the comment of me laughing....Thanks.

My vote: Yes, I do remember.
Uncle BSU does too.

Anonymous said...

And it wasn't the frosted kind of shredded wheat...just plain old shredded wheat. Gross!

Mama said...

According to someone in my office who didn't participate in the original poll, kids don't take chewable asprin anymore, but it is still used for people at risk for a heart attack. That doesn't solve the quandry, but it does add another dimension to the generational theory.

A. said...

My mum wouldn't let me have any type of aspirin. I remember chewable acetaminophen, and it was a rather chalky overly sweetened grape flavor. Truly gross. I will say that liquid amoxicillin tastes like fermented oranges or bubblegum, and it's horrible.