Friday, November 6, 2009

Wee dark hours with Ace

Ace has been waking up early since the time change.  Yesterday I was lying in the dark with him in the living room sometime before 6 am trying to keep him quiet and snooze a little.  He was giving me hugs and kisses.  He was playing "tent" with the blanket and deciding who could be covered and what part of them ("arm out, Mama").  Then, suddenly he sat straight up and said 

"CHOO CHOO TRAIN, MAMA! CHOO CHOO TRAIN!"

There was a faint train whistle from across the river.  Something that a grown up would have tuned out.  It blew 5 or 6 times and was the most exciting thing of the day. 

3 comments:

Oosje said...

I had a learning lesson with Ace a few months ago that showed me just how observant and attentive he is. Just because he doesn't talk much does not mean that he not paying attention all the time. Indeed, he is a little trickster. He knows exactly what is going on and, apparently, some things are just more important to talk about than others, like cars, trains, fire trucks, planes, you know...Boy stuff.

fred said...

I have got to agree with Ace here. One of my favorite things about being up very late or very early is hearing a far-off train whistle. Don't know why, but I love it.

Nanna said...

Ahh yes, the sound of a far off train whistle...I love it too. Ace is a very sharp little guy. He will talk when he's good and ready. Actually it sounds like he's ready now. He's saying lots of words. Like Oosje said, he is very observant and attentive. He is also very cute. Wow mama, early morning time with Ace. That's pretty special. Times you will cherish forever.