Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas rituals with Strider's Kids

Moolah is now old enough that she remembers a couple of Christmases and is beginning to understand the kinds of things that go with Christmas.  There are the movies, the books, the tree.  

I did break down last year and get DVDs of the classic Christmas TV shows:  Rudolph, Frosty... there are a bunch more on the DVD that I try to ignore.  I swore I wouldn't.  Those are things that you see once a year and look forward to and sit down and watch.  The problem was when I realized that they were on at 8 - 9 pm, just at bedtime, and because we live a DVD-DVR lifestyle now, getting everyone ready to watch a show at exactly the time it is on is just too much work.  So, we bought them and put them in the Christmas box so that we wouldn't be faced with endless requests for the Grinch in July.  

Last week the box came out.  Moolah requested Rudolph and we turned it on. Ace was perfectly happy until the Abominable Snowman showed up. Then he ran out of the room and yelled my name til I came to get him.  We decided that Rudolph had to be a special Moolah movie this year.  Ace does like the Polar Express (trains = good boy fun).  

We went to Santa Brunch at the local high school on Sunday.  Moolah did sit on Santa's lap, but she didn't want to ask him for gifts (she has decided to write him a letter... which we need to get done).   Ace didn't want to have anything to do with Santa.  It was a complete reversal from two years ago when Moolah was just a little older than Ace is now and would not go near the big guy in red, but itty bitty Ace thought his beard was just the most fun ever.  

Tonight Moolah and I see the Nutcracker for the first time.  I imagine that will be an important tradition in the years to come.  I imagine Ace will be perfectly comfortable with Santa by next year, and will compete with his sister for the longest list.  

She will win. She always makes sure of that.  

3 comments:

Oosje said...

I remember getting everyone ready to watch the Christmas shows when Kid's kids were little. It WAS a lot of work! And, if you missed the show that was it for the year! Rudolph was only shown once per Christmas season. Hooray for DVD's.

I want to disagree with Mama. For now, Moolah can always win. She is very, very good at making sure she wins. There will come a day when Ace will figure it out and be the winner too. I don't know what that will look like but I have full confidence in Ace's ability to, one day, out-wit and out-play his sister. That will be the beginning of a new relationship between sister and brother.

fred said...

I agree with Oosje. Don't underestimate youngest children. We watch and learn.

Mama said...

So noted.

As an eldest, I am well familiar with Moolah's strategies of "create the game/rule that suits you," and I suspect that Ace might have better things to do with his time & energy than to take her on. I see him saying "Win? There was a win? Interesting. I'll be over here with my trains." And, then Moolah will go play with him because the last thing she can stand is to be left alone/out of the game. I think he will outwit and outplay, but he'll be playing his own game, not hers... and that will be even more challenging for her than if he just took her on.


(Now, in a few years when they are in full battle gear, y'all can laugh at me).