Friday, February 19, 2010

Perspectives

It was bedtime. Actually, it was past bedtime. Moolah was in overtired overdrive. Mama was the only parent in the house.

Mama: "Please brush your teeth."

Moolah: runs in circles, jumps up and down, lies on the floor and kicks her legs.

Mama: "Please brush your teeth."

Moolah: Dances, dances, dances, sings a silly song, and brushes her teeth for approximately 3 seconds, then jumps up and spits on the counter.

Mama, brushing Ace's teeth and attempting to restrain frustration: "Please go get a washcloth and clean that up."

Moolah: dances away, does not return.

Mama, after a minute, with growing frustration: "Moolah, get a washcloth and clean up this toothpaste you spit on the counter."

Moolah: Returns with a small lap pillow that Grandma Simone made that Ace likes to use and begins to use it to wipe up the spit.

Mama, no longer restrained and calm. "NO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING! IS THAT WHAT YOU SHOULD BE USING TO WIPE UP SPIT??? I TOLD YOU TO GO GET A WASHCLOTH."

Moolah: Disappears

Mama, regretting her outburst, and realizing that the linen closet is open, and that Moolah probably looked there for a washcloth but that they were probably all dirty, goes to the living room to find Moolah pouting on the couch. "How can we solve this problem?"

Moolah, crying, mumbles something.

Mama: How can we solve this problem.

Moolah: more crying

Mama: You made a mess on the bathroom counter and you need to clean it up. What ways can you think of to do that?

Moolah, sobbing now, "This...... is..... getting..... ridiculous!"

Mama off guard and, remember, having already lost it once, laughs out loud. Hard. "Yes, I agree"

Moolah, crying even harder: "Why are you laughing at me."

Mama: "I'm sorry, but I agree, it is getting ridiculous."

Moolah: "Then why don't you stop??"

Mama: "I did stop laughing. I'm sorry. What ways can we think of to solve this problem"

Moolah, not comforted by Mama's apology: "NO! WHY DO YOU KEEP ASKING ME THAT SAME QUESTION OVER AND OVER AGAIN. IT'S RIDICULOUS! AND, YOU'RE NOT EVEN HELPING ME TAKE DEEP BREATHS!"

We took deep breaths and settled on using a paper towel to clean up the spit.

3 comments:

Auntie BSU said...

Lucky me! I learn so much from the two of you.

Oosje said...

Uncle Tattoo was over yesterday and we read this togeter. We had a good chuckle and then the realization set in for him. He and Aunt Tattoo might be parents one day and he got a teensy glimpse into reality.

That Moolah...she is an excellant thinker. She can certainly out-think me!

Nanna said...

A similar experience when Moolah's daddy was little. His bedroom trash was on the floor right next to the kitchen trash. I scolded him for leaving it on the floor instead of in the trash can. He didn't do it. Little sister wanted to surprise him and emptied it for him, but couldn't manage to get it all in the can. I apologized to Moolah's daddy for reacting too soon without investigating first. Boy did I feel terrible. But kids forgive quickly, thank goodness.
Moolah sure comes up with amazing phrases and words. Very smart girl.