Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Speedy Recovery to the Princess

The Princess had surgery today, which was delayed, which is why the Royal Children are sleeping downstairs.

This sleep-over was the contingent, contingent, contingent plan. It required at least three unlikely events to all occur at once. Instead, one unanticipated event brought it on. But, the result was that Strider's team had little time to prepare for the visit.

Fortunately, we did have some Drumsticks left over from the Zuko's visit. So, after a reasonable amount of hot dogs were consumed, everyone got dessert, and a lesson in human development courtesy of Princes 5 and G.

Prince 5, throughout dinner: "I get pudding for dessert. It was left over from my Lunchables. I'm the only one who gets pudding."

Mama: "OK" (translation, this argument is not worth my energy)

Prince 5: "I get pudding. I finished my hot dog (smug grin at siblings with plates full of hot dog and then syrupishly), may I please get my pudding now?"

Mama: Yes. Good job. Everyone else eat up.

Prince 5: "Ha. Ha. I have pudding and you don't" (OK, maybe he didn't really say this. I don't actually remember, but if he didn't, he wanted to).

Mama distributes chocolate Drumsticks to Moolah, Prince G., and the Mini Princess.

Prince 5: "Mini Princess. Do you want (extra syrup) PUDDING! I think you like pudding. I'll trade you. You can have my pudding."

Mama: "Do you want pudding or ice cream."

Mini Princess: "Pudding."

Prince 5 scores a drumstick.

Prince G breaks the top off his drumstick. I get him a bowl and a spoon. There is some excuse for the drumstick being unacceptable. He wants another. Unfortunately, there are no more. He'll have to eat the broken one. Much pouting.

Mini Princess, looking at everyone else's dessert: "Ice cream." Since she was tricked into the pudding, I get her a regular vanilla ice cream cone.

Prince G: "Mini Princess, do you want the chocolate ice cream with nuts. It's really yummy!"

Mini Princess, pointing to the vanilla cone: "Ice cream".

Prince 5: "No fair! No fair! She gets two desserts."

Prince G: "No fair! No fair! She gets vanilla. I wanted vanilla!"

When I pointed out that both brothers tried to pawn off their inferior desserts on their sister, and each had gotten exactly what he asked for, twice in Prince 5's case, they denied it absolutely.

Ah, youth...

Princess, get well soon. I don't have the stamina to do this for more than a couple of consecutive meals :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be difficult to be a mini Princess with TWO older brothers! Good for her for getting what she wanted and an excellent lesson for the Princes too. Mama, you have incredible patience.

Ahhhhh....The art of manipulation is learned very young.

Get well Princess! We all love you.

Anonymous said...

WELCOME TO MY LIFE!!!!!! lest any of you feel sorry for mini princess and the manipulation by her brothers, rest assured that girl is NO push-over and gets her way with them far more often than they realize.

and words cannot express my gratitude for the sudden and gracious help from strider's family. i can't tell you how much it meant to me to be lying in the hospital bed knowing my children were safe, loved and cared for. you're the bestest friend EVER.

Mama said...

I am the best. You're lucky to have me.

I was just thoroughly amused by the boys oblivious lack of subtlety.

I also caught Prince 5 trying to palm Moolah's Hello Kitty lipgloss-in-a-cellphone-case and practiced look of surprise that (1) I caught him, and (2) my assertion that he couldn't take it to bed with him.

I'm glad I have several years to practice for this behavior from my own.

Mama said...

Oh! I just remembered the other story I was going to tell.

The Princes were roughhousing. Karate kicks, wrestling, punching, the whole thing. 30 pounds of Moolah decided to join the fray and (apparently) bounced on 5. Tears like nobody's business... which were not evoked by his brother's significantly more powerful body slams. I made Moolah apologize, and then told Prince 5, without any sympathy, that when he chooses to engage in that kind of play, he doesn't get to complain when someone else wants to play back. He was a bit outraged.

Anonymous said...

this will shock you, but prince 5 gets that SAME RESPONSE HERE!!! i swear, i have NO idea where that kid gets his drama streak, although his daddy claims to understand the origin. hmmmm.