Sunday, February 8, 2009

The best of days, the worst of days

The long-awaited playdate with Zoey & Dima at OMSI was this morning. There was much running, shrieking, hugging, and a little bit of science. There was macaroni and cheese with popsicles afterward. From the time we woke up until about 3 pm, it was Moolah's perfect day.

Then the wheels came off.

We got home when Ace was napping. Moolah woke him up. Mama asked for a brief nap. Moolah came and woke me up, despite Daddy's instructions not to, then told me that Daddy told her to wake me, then told Daddy that I woke up by myself. We tried to give her an opportunity to succeed and put it right by cleaning her room (with plenty of assistance). Her performance was mediocre at best. She asked for a snack, then asked for a bath.

"Great idea, Moolah!"

She and Ace got in the bath. Mama sorted some laundry and did a few other things. I was downstairs in the under house when water started pouring through the ceiling, then it started coming out the light fixtures. I ran upstairs shouting at Daddy that we had a problem.

The problem? Moolah and Ace had dumped enough water out of the tub for to create a puddle about 2 inches deep, which was running down the heater vent and through whatever small fissures there are in the bathroom floor. She laughed "see what we did." She knows the rule is "water stays in the bathtub."

For now, I can say for sure this is the most trouble she's been in in her whole life. All her DVDs and her three favorite friends (Pink Baby, Tulip, and Meow) are are in custody of Daddy. She went to bed with no story, no song, no happy thoughts... just a kiss from both parents and a reminder that although we are very angry, we love her very much.

Daddy and I are wiped out. Discipline is hard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When she's good, she's good. And, when she's bad, oh boy!

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's quite a day. I loved the picture of Moolah and her best friends and that they got to get together and play, now that they don't see each other as often as before.

Then, the rest of the story, sounds like a different girl entirely. What happened?

I agree, discipline is tough...I remember some of those times too.

Good thing Daddy put that vent in the family room ceiling. Water coming out of the light fixtures sounds a little scary.

Anonymous said...

I agree discipline is exhausting both mentally and physically sometimes.

Mama said...

When she's good, she's very good and when she's bad, she's thorough.