Last night we were all at the dinner table. R2 was sitting in his high chair chewing on a wooden spoon. He threw it on the ground. Daddy said something like "Oh, so that game is starting." Boo joined the conversation somehow. There was a plastic beach shovel on the table and Daddy picked it up and asked "What would happen if I drop this."
"It would fall."
"Why?"
"Grabidy."
Daddy's eyes almost bugged out of his head.
I remembered that Boo and I were driving at least a week ago and I was answering a string of "whys". I don't remember where the string started, but it ended when I said "Because of gravity." Every once in awhile she gets an answer that satisfies her. This wasn't particularly memorable in any other way. I didn't report it to Daddy. I just answered a question. But, she remembered. She really was paying attention to the answers, and she took the concept and assigned the word.
Daddy and I remembered how we learned about gravity, which, like most children of our generation, was from Schoolhouse Rock. We have the DVDs, so we got it out and showed her. She wanted to watch it over and over. This morning she woke up requesting it again. She even turned down Blue in favor of "Grabidy".
I am in awe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment