Sunday, June 1, 2008

Mama Merit Badge: Dora Salvage

Strider decided that Mermaid Dora looked tasty. He chewed off both her feet leaving shredded plastic doll leg stumps. It looked pretty gross. I wanted to toss her in the garbage and hope for "out of sight, out of mind". But, it was also a pretty vivid message about picking up. Plus, I realized that since she was supposed to be "Mermaid" Dora, feet weren't technically necessary.

So, after discussing that we need to be responsible for our things, I got out my sewing machine and some fabric. I didn't have any batting. Then I laughed and decided to employ the Lou and Adoph construction method.

Best friends, Lou and Adolph bought one piece of property and split it into two, building identical little postage stamp houses side-by-side. Oosje & Bampa now live in one of the houses. Every long weekend, Lou & Adoph added a room onto one of the houses, so that both ended up as meandering structures built with lots of love and little skill. When they were building a floor, or an attic, or a wall, and they didn't have quite enough of whatever they needed to make things level, they would just stuff magazines or telephone books or scrap wood into the offending hole and move on.

This afternoon, looking at my stack of supplies, I realized that I could use the scrap bits for stuffing. It took me awhile to work out how the tail would attach to a plastic doll, until I saw Daddy's old socks that I had cut the feet out of to protect Ace's knees when he crawled (they are the "legwarmers" in the walking video). They never worked for Ace and have been sitting around the house for weeks. Now, they are both stuffing and ribbing for a very functional mermaid tail. All is well again.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes... Mama gets a merit badge! Mermaid Dora's Mama, Moolah, looks so happy with the new and improved look.

I laughed out loud at the reference to Lou and Adolph's building techinique, which was described very accurately. They are probably smiling in their graves at your inventiveness. They would be proud.

Anonymous said...

Good Job!

Mrs. Tom said...

I'm so impressed ... and inspired. I would have never thought to repair it ... it would have been in the trash for sure. What a super Mama!! Thanks for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

Just brilliant. I'm taking notes! What else can you do with Brian's socks?

Anonymous said...

Just looking at Moolah's happy face again this morning.

Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to get my head around the concept of the Dora mermaid doll. . . Is it part of a line of Dora-as-imaginary-creatures dolls? Because I really want to see the Dora unicorn doll.

Mama said...

Dora did a mermaid adventure in which she saved the aquatic species from oceanic pollution propagated by a squid ... or some such thing. After several seasons, they need to go fairly deep for new ideas... not that their audience won't watch the same old ideas over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and ...

Anonymous said...

i can make some wicked teenage mutant ninja turtle masks. out of old drop clothes. of course prince g is very particular about such things and it takes several fine tunings to meet his exact specifications. and yes- TMNT are still on t.v. who knew?