Wednesday, July 30, 2008

One Singular Sensation



In the pre-DVD, pre-cable, pre-video-game, rural, Snowy State of my youth, a major winter after-school activity for Auntie BSU and I was to turn on a record (yes, a round thing that goes round and round) and sing and dance. We'd perform the same record several times an afternoon for weeks or months on end, until another one caught our attention. Musicals were the best. Of course, there were fights about who got to "play" which part. I think I usually won. I always had some good lawyer-in-training reason. Auntie BSU was a better sport than I gave her credit for.


Of all the records over all the months of all the winters, my favorite was always Chorus Line. Well into my 20s, when asked what my lifelong goal was, I would say "If I could do anything I wanted, I would play Val in Chorus Line on Broadway, but I'll have to be the first female Supreme Court Chief Justice instead because I have a much better chance at that job."


I've never seen it on stage. I will on Sunday night.


THANK YOU, DADDY!!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The music popped instantly into my head as I read the blog! I certainly heard it enough times to have it be in my brain for eternity.

You would have been a great Val, in A Chorus Line. As it is you've turned out to be a pretty fine Being living in a complicated world, whatever you do.

Enjoy the show. Imagine me, probably cooking, listening to that record over and over and over.....

p.s. Yes, you always got the part you wanted and Yes, Auntie BSU was a good sport.

p.p.s. Good job Daddy. You've given Mama a great gift.

Anonymous said...

My mum bought my dad a record player this christmas so he could play his old records.
My youngest was amazed at it and said to my mum
"so, you put the really big CD on there...."

Anonymous said...

What? What's this you say? I was a good sport about something? Ha! I was fooling you. I probably had something planned. Glad you will get to see the show....And just in time, isn't it closing on Broadway this year? Is it the Broadway cast....as in Mario Lopez? Enjoy the show and get a good photo of Mario for me!

Anonymous said...

By the way....Fame and Footloose were my favorites!

Mama said...

It already closed on Broadway once, only a few months before my one and only trip to NYC & Broadway with Oosje. I thought I'd never get a chance to see it.

I think it's a touring cast.

Anonymous said...

She forgot to mention 3rd row orchestra...

I rock.

Anonymous said...

Oh My Goodness...You do ROCK! Are you going too Daddy?

Anonymous said...

of course!

Mama said...

How could I have left that part out? That's Blogger Malpractice!

Yes, Daddy and his friend D.L. did much investigation to make my night perfect. They apparently got several members of the staff to consult on whether 3rd row aisle or 5th row center would afford a better experience.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh. It's the day! Have fun.

Anonymous said...

Sooooo, how was it?

Mama said...

It was fabulous. Simply fabulous. After the show, Daddy took me to Montage and then out for dessert. We were out very late for a "school night". I had so much fun.

Thanks again to Daddy, and to Nanna, Papa & Gigi for babysitting.