Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Not-So-Loveable, Furry Old Grover


I've always loved Grover. There was no Elmo when I hung out on Sesame Street, and I still have a soft spot for the not-strong-but-wirey one. One of the first books I bought for Moolah was "The Monster at the End of this Book". It's one of my favorites, and still makes me laugh. I imagined the squeals and giggles at Grover's silliness every time I read it to my kids.

If you are not familiar with it, go here and read it right now before you go any further in this story.

I've read it to Moolah many times, but not recently. Two nights ago she picked it as her bedtime story. I read the first page. She did not want to turn the page. I assured her it would be OK. We turned a page and read it. She did not want to turn the next page. She was very sure that Grover was right. No more pages. Done. Now.

I was stuck. She was already scared and I had to get her through the book to get her unscared. We got Daddy. He cuddled her and told her it would be OK.

We got to the last page. That did not make it better. "But, Grover is the monster at the end of the book. He's a nice monster."

I went (quickly) through the whole book again, showing her the set-up. "See, Grover is afraid of the monster but the monster is him."

No dice.

"Grover is good friends with Elmo."

Nope.

"I don't want to sleep with that book." (For anyone who hasn't done bedtime with Moolah, she always sleeps with her bedtime book).

Daddy and I promised that we would take the monster away. We read her another very happy book. At the end she said "I want to sleep with this book, not the monster book." Happy thoughts included that "the monster book was gone."

I'm sad. I'll miss loveable, furry old Grover. I'm sure I'll be able to get him out again someday. But I'm sad that my girl didn't squeal and laugh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, that is sad. Grover was my favorite Sesame Street character, too (and I'm sorry, but I really don't like Elmo-- I consider him an irritating, annoying knock-off of my beloved Grover).

I bought that same book earlier this year, and Todd loves it. I'm sure Moolah will, too, in time. And then you'll enjoy the squeals and giggles you've envisioned :-)

Anonymous said...

I remember reading that book to Moolah a while ago and we both enjoyed the ending. I think this is an example of how things change in their minds as they age. They are so open to everything when they are tiny, with no referneces, and then,little by little, as they learn more, associate more, fears develop, attachments develop.

Maybe it is like you, mama, when you would swim across the pool at 8 months and then be terrified of water at age 2,3 and 4.
I think it is part of the growth of the psyche, sadly necessary and, then later, so difficult to overcome.
Lil, once at my house, said there were monsters coming while we were eating our lunch. "We" decided to put out a plate for the monster and see if he would join us. It was a fun game. He really liked his peanut butter sandwich and he liked the chocolate chips he got for dessert too!