Thursday, April 12, 2007

11 years ago today, give or take a week or two

Mama and Daddy are very different in many ways. People have asked us how we make the relationship work. We don't know, we just do.

Maybe it's because Mama and Daddy are also similar in many ways. Two important similarities are our love of movies, and our ability to geek out deeply (see, for example, Mama on Harry Potter).

So it was in early April of 1996, when, during spring finals study week, Daddy, who had met Mama a couple of weeks before, sent an email inviting Mama to a pizza, martini & Casablanca study-break. Mama went because she loves Casablanca. When she learned that the copy of Casablanca being shown was owned by Daddy, she was impressed.

Thus, Casablanca was Mama and Daddy's first movie, but not the first date.

When Daddy and Mama did end up going on a date, it was, naturally, to see a movie. The movie was Fargo. The choice was an easy one, as Mama and Daddy both love the Cohen Brothers and wanted to see their latest offering. The location was a mall movie theater that smelled of death and had buckets catching the water dripping from the ceiling. It being the Cohen Brothers, Mama spent the first few minutes trying to interpret the meaning of a subtle pattern in the snow, which turned out to be smeared dirt where someone had tried in vain to clean a small portion of the filthy screen.

Over the years, there have been many movies. Some have been very successful events, inspiring hours of satisfying geeking, like Serenity. Some have been terrible failures, inspiring many complaints, like Dead Man.

So, when after months of working on names, including full-geek commitment by both parents, internet research, a spreadsheet containing over 300 names, blog solicitations, and more, Daddy looked up from the guacamole he was making and said the name of the AFI's "Greatest Hero in Film History", we both wondered a little bit why we hadn't thought of it before.

So, there it is. We have a middle name, too. I just need another day or two to figure out how to tell that story.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, I don't understand. We're calling him Fargo?

(just kidding...)

Anonymous said...

I like it! You couldn't choose a literary character that displays more integrity and compassion.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear the next story.

Anonymous said...

I am overwhelmed at the moment and also being very emotional (what else is new). At first I thought I didn't "get it" but then I went to the site and the name was confirmed. Uncle BSU is right. Now R2 A.K.A as ------- can arrive. Congratulations to Mama and Daddy for waiting it out until the perfect name appeared (over the guacomole)

Anonymous said...

You really had me going there for a while. The Casablanca lead in made me think you were going to say you chose Rick or Humphrey.

Anonymous said...

Or Bogart. I kinda like Bogart!

Anonymous said...

Well...Oosje said it right. I concur. A lot of thought went into picking the perfect name that R2 will carry for all of his life. I'm impressed at all the thought, time, and research that went into it. I especially like the part that it was chosen after the name of a literary character with integrity and compassion. If R2 follows in his father's footsteps, he will display the same qualities and virtues.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts: Team Cousin
a. I like that the cousins Daddy's picked their names.
b. I like the similarity that all of their names have a repeating letter. I like that Oosje and Nanna have a repeating letter too.
c. I love that R2's name came over a bowl of guacamole...an honor to Bampa, who loves it!

Other thoughts:
a. I wonder what A------ will sound like when Boo says it.
b. I love that I know who is coming to join our family!
c. I love Strider's Family!

Anonymous said...

You indicated it would take a day or two to figure out the story of R2's middle name...today is day 3. We are growing impatient.