Saturday, April 7, 2007

Speaking of Harry Potter

Ginger asked for my predictions based on the cover art released last week. Here they are. They are based on all 3 covers released, including the US version, the UK kids version, and the UK adult version (all available for viewing here).

Where are the Wands?
On the US version, neither Harry nor Voldemort are holding a wand. They look as though they may be reaching for their wands, as though they had to summon them (accio wand), but neither one of them would be wandering around during the war without a wand, so something happened. Voldemort would have never used a disarming charm (expelliarmus), so maybe there is something we don't know yet about brother wands that happens when they fight each other. Or, maybe one or both of the wands were lost before, because....

The UK kids version has Harry, Ron & Hermione diving, falling, or being thrown through a round opening into a large pile of gold & jewels. Again, all of their hands are visible and none has a wand.

Horcruces
Two suspected Horcruces show up clearly on the UK kids and adults version. On the kids version, Ron appears to be carrying the Sword of Griffindor. We have seen this before, and last we knew it was locked up in Dumbledore's office. The adult version appears to be the locket of Salazar Slytherin, stolen by Death Eater "RAB", with the announced intention of destroying it.

Also, on the US version, Harry is wearing something around his neck which may be Slytherin's locket.

Fire
The background of both the US and UK kids version are similar fiery shades of red, orange and yellow. Other clues seem to indicate heat & light (UK kids), and smoke & charring (US).

Settings
The setting on the US cover is unfamiliar. The US covers have always been set in a location revealed for the first time in that book. Maybe a Quiddich pitch or other stadium?

The UK cover setting is more interesting. I think this must be Gringotts. I have further suspicions about whose vault it is and why our friends are there, but those ideas are not based on the covers. Since I HATE unannounced possible spoilers, I won't put my book-based guesses here. I will put a few in the comments, so if you don't want to know, don't go there.

Other Thoughts
On the US version, Harry and Voldemort's postures are notably different. Harry looks more confident than Voldemort, who might be in retreat, or maybe even falling.

That's what I've got so far. 104 days, 1 hour, 53 minutes right now . . . watch the ticker!

6 comments:

Mama said...

Here are my other main thoughts:
1. RAB is Regelus A. Black, Sirius's estranged and dead Death Eater brother. The vault on the UK version may be the Black family vault, where the locket ended up. Harry probably has access to the vault as Sirius's heir and goes with his friends to locate the locket. Although, there are also some indications that the locket is now in possession of the Boar's Head's barman after being stolen by Mundungus Fletcher.

2. There will be deaths. I don't think Harry, Ron, Hermione or Ginny will be among them. Rowling has worked too hard to set up that family. Likely candidates for me, in order, are Hagrid, Neville, Fred and/or George Weasley.

3. Harry will not go on to be an Auror, but instead will be Hogwarts' Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

4. Harry, or his scar, is the sixth and final Horcrux. Voldemort intended to create the final Horcrux with the killing of Harry, but when the spell backfired, Harry ended up as a Horcrux.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I don't really have anything to say to all this. I am responding instead to the knowledgable writer. You, as always, have delved deeply....deeply...deeply.
Nothing casual for you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. For a Harry virgin this is all a bit overwhelming.

Mama said...

Correction. Snape is the most likely to die. But, only after he fully redeems himself, proves that he was always on the right side in the matter of Voldemort, and saves the day. His dislike of James and Harry Potter is genuine, but Dumbledore was right in trusting him. Dumbledore, in fact, asked Snape to be the one to kill him if necessary to save Draco Malfoy from having to do so.

And yes, I am on FULL GEEK POWER in this matter.

And yes, if you don't know anything about Harry Potter, this would all be very confusing. Worry not, that's probably all I'll have to say about the matter until July or August. I always read Harry books one chapter a day to savor them.

A. said...

I plan on being on a boat by the time this comes out...however, I also fully intend on buying the book as soon as humanly possible in an English speaking port so that I can read it and fully geek out. The only thing that would be better would be to have all of the books on hand to cross-reference!

I think your ideas/thoughts are very perceptive. I can't wait to email reactions!

Anonymous said...

I knew you would have great predictions!! I think I'm going to read book 6 again ... it'll take a while, as Ella seems to take up most of my free time. So if I start now, I should be done before book 7. I can't believe you read one chapter a day - you are a very patient woman. :) We're planning on taking Ella to Grandma's for the weekend, so mommy and daddy can read the whole thing.