I think I've learned a lesson. Since I started this blog, when we take a trip or have a big event, I plan out the long recap that covers everything. But, getting around to actually writing the long recap, and posting all of the appropriate photos with it, hasn't happened consistently, or, really, at all. In the meantime, I have "saved up" other blog material thinking that it should come after the recap. After a few weeks, I get embarrassed and have to apologize and start from the present.
So, Strider's family went to the Sunny State. We had lots of fun, got lots of loot, and saw lots of loved ones. There are many stories to be told, and you may hear them in time. I will tell just one today, and trust that those of you who were present for some of the others will understand that our time with you was enjoyed and appreciated no less than this time.
On New Year's Day, Nanna and Papa hosted Daddy's family. Daddy and Papa broke in Papa's new smoker, and the results were tasty goodness. Nanna and Gigi planned the rest of the spread, which could have fed a small third world nation. Nanna's fruit salad was amazing (yes, we've all had fruit salad, it's not usually stuff of blog material, but this fruit salad was extra special). Gigi made the best macaroni salad I've ever had.
Around all the food, there was every living member of Daddy's family except Aunt D & Uncle D. For the first time ever, Daddy's two sisters and all of the cousins were together. Plus, Tom and Mrs. Tom came with Little Tomette, plus Mama Tom and Bubba, who are all as much a part of Daddy's family as anyone else. Aunt Fanny and Cousin McJ talked "American Girl" collectibles, McUncle and The Captain talked computer programming, Moolah, Cousin McM and Little Tomette ran, fell, cried, ran, fell, cried, and then ran some more. Ace and Cousin McD drooled on each other and on Moolah's new Aquadoodle. McAunt, Nanna and Gigi shared stories. At the end of the night, we lit a fire and roasted marshmallows. It was a simple time with family. Nothing fancy or complicated, just rare time together. It was the kind of time that Daddy and I remember having in our childhoods. It was just special.
Thank you to the McFamily and the Tom Family for sharing time with us. Thank you to Nanna, Papa and Gigi who did the organization behind the scenes. Thank you to everyone else who made a really special afternoon for us.
We didn't really stop the festivities to take photos, so we didn't get everyone there. But, we did get the first ever picture of Daddy with both his sisters and their families.




2 comments:
I agree, the salads were super.
It was a very special time with our very special loved ones. So glad the salads turned out. The smoker masters did an amazing job too, the meat was out of this world, and the air smelled heavenly of smoked meat. It was just a wonderful day!
Post a Comment