1. For both Mama (2) and Daddy (3): Comforting and consoling while covered in vomit.
- Bonus stripe for: While naked (Mama - 1, Daddy - 1)
- Bonus stripe for: Between the hours of midnight and 6 am (Mama - 1, Daddy 2)
- Bonus stripe for: Successfully showering with sleepy, sick toddler (Mama - 1)
- Bonus stripe for: Each load of laundry produced by the incident (5)
2. For Mama: First trip to the Emergency Room.
3. For Daddy and Princess Leah: Support of Parent in Emergency Room
- Bonus stripe for: Delivery made to Emergency Room (The Princess - 1)
The story isn't as dramatic as it should be. Moolah got the flu. She woke up sick at 3 am, came to Mama and Daddy's bed crying, and vomited everywhere. Mama and Moolah showered. Daddy stripped and remade the bed. Moolah said she wanted to sleep on the couch (which is where Daddy likes to be when he is sick). Daddy went with her and handled three more "incidents" between 4 and 9 am. Daddy let Mama sleep until 10. We called the pediatrician, who suggested we take her in to the ER because she had symptoms that might indicate an intestinal blockage. Mama and Moolah went to the hospital, Daddy stayed home with Ace. Since it was the first ER trip, Mama didn't know some of the important things to bring, like changes of clothes for after the child is sick in the car on the way over. Princess Leah came through with a bag of necessaries and a list for next time:
- Change of clothes for parents. think layers (rooms can be really hot or very cold) and comfy (sweats, sneakers, etc)
- Change of clothes for kids. Also layers and comfy.
- Books and magazines for parents, or computer or other form of entertainment. It's boring!
- Books, quiet toys, favorite blankie/animal/doll for kid
- Change for vending machine
- Water bottle and snacks for parents. granola bars, apples, nuts, dried fruit. things that hold up when smashed in a bag, but fill you up and give you even blood sugar. And maybe a chocolate bar for nerves. Don't give the kid drinks/food unless it's cleared by the doctor.
- Any regular medicine for you or kids. At the very least. a list of kinds and doses of meds kid takes.
- Phone numbers for family, pediatrician, work, etc. also, your cell AND CHARGER.
- If you have room- a pillow for you.
- Any other "comfort" items--chapstick, make-up, lotion, ibuprofen, etc.
- Pump for nursing moms! And bottles for baby.
- Your wallet, keys, ID, etc.
- Stroller if the kid is anywhere near stroller age.
Oh, and I found out there are Merit Badges out there, but not the ones I needed!



5 comments:
Oh my. Merit badges all around, indeed!
First time I ever had to clean up my son's vomit, I struggled not to upchuck myself at the smell.
For some reason I would MUCH prefer to immerse myself in the smell of a poopy diaper (as long as it's Todd's, of course) than vomit anyday. Am I the only one who feels this way?
14. A Sherpa to carry everything.
I think that's part of the utility of the stroller.
Ace got it this weekend. Breastmilk coming back up is nowhere near as bad as pizza and oatmeal.
Yuck.. pizza and oatmeal! Bampa was always better at cleaning up that stuff than I was, except the time it all landed on my feet while I was standing there telling Mama to "get to the toilet!" Sadly, I don't think I ever earned a merit badge for vomit. Oh... and then there was the time it hit me in the back of my head, while in the car. That was totally gross. I'm with Helly. I'll take Poop any time over vomit.
And since Mini Princess spends her days with the Strider kids, she got it too. After the first incident, she was lying on my chest on the couch....and puked on my mouth. Not actually IN, but all over the lower half of my face, neck and chest. That was a special mommy moment.
And yes, Fred, the stroller is to carry the gear. Sounds excessive...until you're in a cold er waiting room, starving, covered in puke, bored becasue you've already been there four hours with one People magazine from 1998 and a sick crying baby. Just trust me on this one.
Post a Comment