Thursday, January 24, 2008

Everyone should have a Royal Family

After finally getting both kids through the flu, I woke up yesterday morning to a yucky tummy. Once the munchkins were installed with Daytime Mama, I wanted to turn off my phones and sleep. But, since Daddy was in trial and also had his phone off, I needed an emergency back-up plan. I called the Princess. It turned out that she and Mr. Princess were splitting the day at home with a sick child, too, so they could easily get one or both of Strider's kids if necessary. They also agreed to be on standby to pick up at the end of the day if Daddy's trial ran late.

By 2 pm, Daddy was feeling the yuck. He finished out his trial day, but they didn't finish the trial. At 5 pm, he was feverish, achey, and losing his lunch in the courthouse restroom. The Princess called him and offered not only to pick up the children, but to keep them all night so we could sleep.

It was our first night without Ace. Not the romantic escape that we would have planned had we gotten to plan it. The Princess sent regular reports via text message up until bedtime. Mr. Princess also made huge efforts, including making dinner, risotto with homemade stock and fresh veggies, and serving as a jungle gym to five children.

Both kids did well. Moolah remembered that she gets chocolate milk at the Royal Castle (she has an excellent memory for reasons to be treated). Ace had to wear the Mini Princesses old pink PJs, which caused much amusement among the troops. Mr. Princess calculated that all of the children could have biologically belonged to them and double-checked their family planning methods. Mama and Daddy slept, and racked up one huge debt to the Royal Family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I hope everyone will excuse the messy house....it was taking every ounce of strength and reason that we could muster just to keep track of them all. "Where's Ace?...." "Have you seen Mini Princess?" You think I'm kidding.....

Mama said...

No. I'm pretty sure no one thinks you're kidding. I'm also pretty sure no one saw the pictures and thought "OHMYGOODNESS I can't believe Mama and Daddy sent their children to such a messy house." I think they probably thought. "Aw. What a nice Mr. Princess."

Anonymous said...

That's exactly what I thought..the "Aw, what a nice prince" part. Bless the Royal Household! Look at the Prince looking calm, cool and collected while being bombarded by 5 young ones. I am humbled by your generosity and friendship... but, then, Mrs. Princess... I've been humbled by you before.
My love to you all!

Anonymous said...

Those were my thoughts as well. Wow, what a wonderful gesture. That is true friendship at it's finest. I never thought to look at the house. I am blown away at the very kind thought though. What a special treat for the kids. Mr. Prince looks calm and peaceful. The house doesn't look messy, it looks like a room full of love and a very special time for the kids. They'll never remember if the house was clean, they will remember the fun and mama and daddy will remember your extreme kindness.